Remember the exasperated moments when you hold your head and secretly as yourself: Am I a good parent? There are times when we are all not too sure of what we are doing and whether we are doing it right. There is no right or wrong answer here and every parent has a different parenting method. However, here are some ways in which you can find out if you are on the right path.
1. Look at your kids. Are they usually happy and content? Do they love being around you or do they find the first excuse to spend time in their rooms alone? A child’s well-being is in direct relation with his or her happiness and contentment. This shows stability at home and kids need this to thrive.
2. As much as kids complain about routine, it is routine that enables them to focus and gives them a predictable and stable life. This is what helps them grow and learn and develop well. So, check to see if they have a good routine to follow in their lives. This applies most to family life.
3. Check to see the kind of environment you have provided your children with. Is it physically and psychologically safe? Kids growing up in an environment of bullying is not safe. Kids growing up in an environment of criticism is not safe. Kids growing up in an environment of encouragement, positive feedback and praise grow up well.
4. Who is in charge in the house? Is it you or do the kids run the house with their rules? Only one person can be the leader, and it should be an adult. As much as kids push boundaries, parents have the job of guiding them back to the line. Kids should of course make some decisions, but that should be limited to their age and development stage.
5. How much humour do you have in the house? Laughter is the best medicine, they say and it is true in families who laugh together. Humour and fun are the building blocks for relationships and they are good at relieving stress. Dad telling jokes (even bad ones!) are always welcome!