School vacation break is almost upon usso now is the time to start planning summer activities for kids. Fortunately, there are plenty of affordable summer ideas for kids, that are fun, some educational, that won’t hurt your wallet. Too often, parents overlook simpler sources of entertainment that children will enjoy.
Summer Kids Activities
Here is a list of summertime activities for preschoolers and school age children. Most of the summer ideas for kids included are free or very inexpensive. All the activities listed are perfect for the whole family to do together, or with just one or two kids. It is also easy to include friends and extended family to come along.
Places to Go
- Most libraries offer summertime activities for preschoolers and older children. Visit your local branch weekly. Participate in story time or a reading club, and check out books to read together, regularly.
- Plan camping events in the living room, the front or back yard, or a weekend excursion out of town.
- Research local recreation centers and check out what summer kids’ activities or classes are being offered.
- Hang out at the park. Look for walking trails and local playgrounds where your kids can explore and have fun.
- Go on a random road trip to a place your family has never been before.
- Take the whole family fishing.
- Look for free craft clinics for kids at home supply or craft stores.
- Spend the day at the lake, local swimming pool or the beach.
Things to Do
- Ride bikes
- Fly kites
- Have a weekly family board game night.
- Find a scenic location to feed ducks or other birds.
- Do a tour of garage sales. Look for cheap movies, board games, or other activities you and your kids can do together.
- Have a picnic at the zoo, on the beach, at the park, in the yard, or even the living room!
- Host a yard sale and have your children actively participate.
- Build abonfire and roast hot dogs and marshmallows.
- Play outside with water using a sprinkler, hose, slip and slide, small pool, or water balloons.
- Toss a Frisbee together.
- Volunteer as a family.
- Play outdoor sports.
- Plan an elaborate outdoor scavenger hunt.
- Put together a puzzle.
- Plant a small garden.
And these are just some of the activities you can do! Give your kids a summer to remember with these fun summertime activities.