Summer is quickly approaching and with that comes the need for creative tips and tricks to keep them busy, happy and active during their time off!
In the following article, we’ll briefly discuss the options available to you and your children to stay active this summer and enjoy the hot weather, the free time and the fun activities to the fullest! Let’s begin with number one:
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits & vegetables daily – Fruits and vegetable provide nutrients needed for a balanced diet and a healthy life. Be sure that every plate is full of colorful fruits and vegetable to keep the kids energized.
- Never skip breakfast – We’re sure you’re aware of how important breakfast is. The first meal of the day should be balanced, healthy and keep your children ready to move for the remainder of the day.
- Always stay hydrated – It is imperative to stay hydrated, not with sugary sports drinks or soda, but with water. Drinking water throughout the day prevents heat exhaustion-related illnesses.
- Wear sunglasses – Keep your eyes protected by making sure to wear sunglasses with at least 99% UV protection.
- Wear sunscreen – Staying out in the hot summer sun is fun, but it can have damaging effects. Make sure to stay protected from damaging UV rays by applying sunscreen often.
- Wear safety gear – Whether your skateboarding, wakeboarding, rollerblading, inner tubing or riding your bike, make sure the ones you love stay safe. Wearing proper headgear, elbow gear, and even shin gear is a great way to keep your kids safe in order to make sure they are able to enjoy their summer to the absolute fullest.
- Good oral hygiene – In addition to brushing their teeth in the morning and right before bed, flossing and use of mouthwash are imperative. Steps taken to ensure a healthy mouth can also include 2 trips to the dentist a year to stay healthy.
- Stay active – A minimum of 60 minutes per day is recommended for children to stay healthy physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- Stay rested – Especially during the months in which the sun is relentless, always make sure your children get shaded breaks and plenty of water. At night, eight to 10 hours of sleep is recommended in order to keep growth constant and a healthy.
- R.I.C.E – In the rare case of an injury from being physically active make sure you get enough REST, apply ICE and COMPRESSION to the injured site, and keep the injured area ELEVATED.